[CentOS] C6 firefox esr h.264 support on youtube

Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane todd.denniston at navy.mil
Fri Sep 11 12:26:13 UTC 2015

"You always need native OS support to be able to play media files with the HTML5 media player"
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1068031#answer-743907

I found this because I was looking for a (legal in the US) way to look at h264 streams from local net video encoders on EL6, without having to resort to expensive decoder software which I can't get anytime soon.  Initially I thought that I might get Firefox to do it for me with the openh264 plugin, but then I found the above link.   I am currently looking at how possible/painful it is to get the gstreamer openh264 plugin [1] built on EL6 (to go with the existing 0.10 gstreamer), such that I can use openh264 [2][3], which if I understand it would allow me to have a legal and working viewer (sans sound, which I don't need anyway).  It would be nice (from a functional point of view) if Red Hat could get us an audio codec for h264 licensed in a similar way.

If anyone has clues on how to build and add  just a portion of gst-plugins-bad into the existing EL OS set of gstreamer plugins, please share (even URL pointers).

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-bad/tree/ext/openh264
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenH264
[3] http://www.openh264.org/

Even when this disclaimer is not here:
I am not a contracting officer. I do not have authority to make or modify the terms of any contract.