[CentOS] SAMBA as AD DC

Dario Lesca d.lesca at solinos.it
Fri Sep 11 12:56:55 UTC 2015

Il giorno ven, 11/09/2015 alle 14.25 +0200, Oscar Osta Pueyo ha
scritto:
> Hello,
>
> On 11 September 2015 at 14:04, Dario Lesca <d.lesca at solinos.it>
> wrote:
>
> > Il giorno lun, 08/09/2014 alle 20.03 +0100, James Hogarth ha
> > scritto:
> > > On 8 Sep 2014 17:00, "Frantisek Hanzlik" <franta at hanzlici.cz>
> > > wrote

> > > Indeed but fortunately EL6 has many years ahead of it yet.

> > > The rc is due Sep 15th last I heard.

> > > Andrew Bartlett has expressed an opinion on the samba technical
> > > list that he'd be in favour of a very short 4.2 cycle if it means
> > > getting these sort of updates out.
> >
> > There is some news for this tread?
> >
> > Samba 4.3 is out:
> > https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.3.0.html
> >
> > and into Fedora Development there's already new package:
> >
> > https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/x
> > 86_64/os/Packages/s/
> >
> > But the "samba-ad" package still missing.
> >
> > Someone have more info?
> >
> > Many thanks
> >

> It is a decision of red hat over MIT or Heimdal. Red hat chooses MIT
> and Samba 4 AD chooses Heimdal.
>
> You have more info in https://access.redhat.com/discussions/1235263

Ok, thanks for reply.

I read from last message of discussion:

> February 9 2015 at 1:54 PM - Razvan Corneliu Vilt say:
>
> The Samba 4 release in RHEL 7 does not support the Active Directory
> Domain Controller role. It is however a good NT4 Style Primary Domain
> Controller, a decent SMB3 file server, etc. What's more interesting
> is that you CAN make Samba 4 from EL 7 work with FreeIPA for
> authentication via NTLM AND Kerberos. I already have implemented this
> using the stock Red Hat Packages and authentication works via FreeIPA
> using both MS-RPC authentication in NTLM form and Kerberised
> authentication. ....

This means that that never will be a samba-ad for redhat/centos.

Then, if I as I understand the reply, with Centos7 + Samba 4 in old NT4
-DC mode + Kerberos + FreeIPA ( I do not know what it is FreeIPA) it's
possible setup a Linux PDC working with all versions of Windows client,
without changing the registry into win7/8 to join to domain?

I'm not a guru of Linux, someone can point me to the right way?

Many thanks
Dario

--
Dario Lesca
(inviato dal mio Linux Fedora 22 con Gnome 3.16)