[CentOS] CPU Scheduling allocates more time for few threads

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 16:11:47 UTC 2015

On 09/02/2015 08:17 PM, Radha krishna wrote:
>       I have a Virtual Machine with CentOS 7 64-bit having 6 CPUs (intel). I have a process with 10 threads. two threads of the process pinned to two CPU's using affinity. These threads processes lot of network messages via Sockets. Other threads wait for other events using pthread condition wait. When two threads CPU reaches 75 to 80% then the schedular, schedules most of the time for those two threads, even though remaining 4 CPU's are ideal. Due to this other threads event processing is delayed a lot.  Is it mostly do to more signal's from kernel space to user space tor those threads ? Is there a way to avoid this issue?

Red Hat has an excellent guide on performance tuning libvirt.  I suggest
you start there:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Virtualization_Tuning_and_Optimization_Guide/index.html

This is a very complex topic, and it would be difficult to provide
specific guidance without lots of information about the system being
tuned.   We would need to know the specifics of the hardware
configuration (memory and CPU layout), CPU affinity for the qemu process
hosting the VM, CPU topology for the VM, and probably a lot more
information about the process you're scheduling.  For instance, how much
CPU time at the extra threads using, and how do you know what CPUs
they're running on?

My uneducated guess as to your question: At 75% of CPU time, it may be
ideal to run the other threads on the same cores to minimize latency to
the memory they share with the network processing threads.