[CentOS] flac/sox/etc with mp3 support?

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Sep 13 00:16:20 UTC 2015

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 03:39:44PM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> I need to convert a bunch of .flac files to .mp3 files, but the sox
> and flac command tools thats in the base repo won't do that.   EPEL
> doesn't seem to have much either.    I went looking at ATRPMS but am
> getting database errors from their home page :(    I know rpmforge
> used to have this stuff, but its virtually unmaintained today so
> I've written it off.

> any suggestions?  I don't really want to have to build this stuff
> from source.

The nux repo has most of the multimedia stuff and is more or less the go to
repo these days.

I would just use it to install ffmpeg which should include the needed
codecs.

ffmpeg -i myfile.flac myfile.mp3 will probably do it.

(Untested--actually I built ffmpeg from source, because I wanted a later
version, but that had more to do with some video stuff.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6