[CentOS] OT: closing a port on home router

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 01:07:32 UTC 2015

On 09/12/2015 04:16 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> So, I'm trying this (please tell me if it makes sense to do it this way):
> I've set up a port forwarding rule on the router that forwards incoming
> port 22 to port 9 on the LAN side of the router.

I'd suggest that you test it, but that does seem reasonable.

Note that there is nothing special about port 9.  There is a "discard"
service that you can run on that port to consume data and discard it,
but it's normally not running.  In the normal state, with no service
listening on port 9, it's just the same as any other port that isn't
listening.