[CentOS] BackupPC is not easy to setup

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Sep 13 14:58:31 UTC 2015

Ulf Volmer wrote:

Thanks for your response, which clarifies matters for me.

>> I have a couple of questions that this raises.

>> 1. Why exactly does backuppc want to ssh to root?

> To enable access to all of the files on the client.

>> Is this just a way of running BackupPC as root?

> Why do you want this? It's not required to run backuppc as user root.

I don't want (or not want) to do this.
I was asking the reason for ssh-ing from backuppc to root.
I don't recall any other application taking this route ?

>> 2. The graphical interface seems to be treated as an extra,
>> but what other way is there of accessing BackupPC?
>> Is there a CLI approach?

> There are some CLI applications available, BackupPC_tarCreate for
> example to restore file from the command line.

I take it then that there is no CLI method
of setting up and running BackupPC ?

Incidentally, I don't recall ever changing the user and group
under which BackupPC is to run when setting up BackupPC under CentOS-6.
Maybe this was done automatically during the CentOS installation
of this program?
(I certainly never used suexec explicitly.)

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net