[CentOS] centos 7 on older macbook pro

Keith Keller

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon Sep 14 02:33:34 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I recently got a brand new MacBook Pro, replacing one that is over 5.5
years old.  I'm trying to think of something to do with the old laptop,
and one idea I had was to put CentOS on it.  After some initial
struggles, I finally found this page, which tells how to tell the
installer to find hfsplus-utils:

https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=7327

Then I got to the point of configuring wifi, and of course being a MBP,
it has a proprietary Broadcom interface.  I followed the instructions on
the wiki (https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless/Broadcom), but
had some trouble with it coming back up after a sleep.  That plus some
other issues (it ran hot just running a browser, for example) are making
me question whether this is a good idea.

Does anyone else run a CentOS (not necessarily 7) on Apple hardware,
particularly laptops (and not in a VM)?  If so, any pointers on making
life easier?  TBH I don't really know exactly what I want to use it for
yet, so suggestions there would be helpful too.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us