[CentOS] [OT] linux on a PPC (mac mini)

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Sep 15 15:12:02 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-15, wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:

> Searching the web, I see very few possibilities to install a recent (I
> need gnome2) GNU/Linux distro on such hardware. I gave Linux MintPPC 11
> (http://www.mintppc.org/content/list-macs) a try, but the netinstall
> iso simply fails in installing a boot loader that conserves the
> original OS/X partition even after many tries and workarounds.

You might try Ubuntu or Debian.  Keep in mind that Macs present their
own challenge beyond just a different architecture; they had a funky
implementation of Open Firmware that was a major PITA to configure
properly.  The Mac OF bootloader, yaboot, is pretty much abandonware at
this point as well.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us