[CentOS] [OT] linux on a PPC (mac mini)

Alice Wonder alice at domblogger.net
Tue Sep 15 19:41:49 UTC 2015

On 09/15/2015 11:27 AM, Leon Fauster wrote:

>>> this also helps to boot
>>>
>>> http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/
>>
>> rEFInd will work on EFI-based Macs, but not on old PPC Macs, which are
>> based on OpenFirmware (so grub won't work either).
>

> you are right - its long time ago that i used a macmini and it
> was indeed intel based. Before that i used a powerbook and remember
> that the boot loader was http://mac.linux.be/content/yaboot

Oh Geez I remember MKLinux DR3 on my Beige G3 - BootX I think it was -
had to have a small HFS partition (couldn't be HFS+) with a blessed
system folder.

That was my first distro.

I also ran Debian m68k on an SE/30 - that was an experience.

Not knowing who he was, I saw the network driver had been written by a
college student name Alan Cox and so I sent an e-mail to the listed
e-mail address to say thank you.