[CentOS] BackupPC is not easy to setup

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Tue Sep 15 20:46:04 UTC 2015

On 09/15/2015 10:58 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

>> 2. You can do all operations through CLI, all of it is mentioned in the
>> documentation.
>> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#Step-7:-Talking-to-BackupPC
>
> Thank you for your response.
> However, I don't believe this short section gives sufficient information
> to configure and run BackupPC.
> Basically, it just gives a way of finding out what is happening
> while BackupPC is running.
> (Also it finishes by advising you to use the GUI instead.)
>
> For example, what command would you give to tell BackupPC
> that you want to back up /var/www (to choose a directory at random)?

That goes in the config file (typically the per-PC one for this kind of
setting, since you won't back up the same dirs on all clients).
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#Configuration-File

The options are described in the following sections, that particular
setting is described in the well named section:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#What-to-backup-and-when-to-do-it

Really, the backuppc docs are pretty good.