[CentOS] Centos 7, systemd, and nvidia drivers

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 15:52:57 UTC 2015

On 09/17/2015 03:53 AM, mark wrote:
> Really? In Centos 6, if I do an init 3, it shuts down X; none of the
> above did that,

You ran "systemctl start multi-user" when you meant to "systemctl
isolate multi-user".

The man page describes isolate: "This is similar to changing the
runlevel in a traditional init system."

Aside from the fact that you use the same command, systemctl, to "start"
a service and "isolate" a runlevel, none of the problems you described
had anything to do with systemd.

In fact, even switching runlevels/targets is unrelated to the video
modules.  You always have to blacklist the video driver, or boot with
"nomodeset" to remove the video card's kernel module (Actually, you
might be able to "echo 0000:<pci ID>" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:<pci
ID>/driver/unbind" sometimes. Some drivers might cause a kernel panic,
though.) because even in multi-user mode with no X.org, the kernel is
still using the module for its console.