[CentOS] I want to connect to a l2tp server from centos.

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 00:57:43 UTC 2015

On 09/17/2015 04:47 PM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> If someone used l2tp the same way I want to use on CentOS 7 please
> give me some advice.

l2tp, by itself, offers no encryption.  Notably, that means that your
password is going to cross the network in clear text.  Bare l2tp is the
VPN equivalent of telnet.  I really strongly recommend that you reconsider.

ipsec, by itself, is a much better and easier way to achieve your goal.
It will require less setup, and offer better security. There's no down
side; ipsec is clearly a better choice for connecting two systems over
an unsecured network.

l2tp is typically used in conjunction with ipsec, for mobile clients.
The reason is that l2tp integrates with external authentication (RADIUS,
LDAP, Active Directory, etc) better than ipsec alone does.  That's great
when you have a group of users that you want to have individual
authentication keys, but it's not a good fit for connecting one server
to another.