[CentOS] Nux VLC gives CLI only on CentOS-6.x

Scott Robbins

scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Sep 18 13:23:13 UTC 2015

I thought this was just because of various unwise repo mixing that I'd done
on my main home server-cum-workstation, but I've been able to duplicate it
on a fresh VirtualBox installation.

I install the nux repo vlc-core and vlc-extras.  I then try to start it
from a command line.  I get
+++++++
main interface error: no suitable interface module
[0x1ae5108] main libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none"
initialization failed
[0x1ae5108] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc'
to use vlc without interface.
[0x1bac2b8] [cli] lua interface: Listening on host "*console".
VLC media player 2.0.8 Twoflower
Command Line Interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
+++++++

I can open any media file with it, but I can't get the usual GUI interface.
I tend to use mplayer and smplayer more often, but I've not been able to
find the reason for this not working.  Googling has brought me some Ubuntu
issues that were resolved with reinstalling, but the only thing I've seen
with CentOS-6.x and this is a few years old.

Does anyone else have this issue?  I use openbox or dwm on the machines,
I'm not sure if that's part of the issue.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6