[CentOS] OT: closing a port on home router

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Sep 22 20:45:15 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 03:11:53PM -0400, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> On 9/12/2015 9:44 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> >
> >yes, there is port forwarding, of course. I'm forwarding a different
> >port to 22 on my desktop, and want to close 22 on the router so it won't
> >also allow access to 22 on my desktop.
>
> If you have not set up forwarding for port 22 on the router, it is
> already closed.  You do not need to do anything.
>
> If you want to verify this, just try to connect to port 22 from
> outside your network and see what happens.
>
> --
> Bowie

Actually, connecting to port 22 works fine, or did until my last hacking
session on the router. Which is why I wanted to make it inaccessible.

My current "solution" is to forward 22 on the WAN side of the router to
9 on the LAN side of the router. since 9 on the LAN side has no services
attached, the incoming connection fails. which is what I wanted.

    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996