[CentOS] OT: closing a port on home router

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Sep 22 22:52:19 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 03:09:18PM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 9/22/2015 1:45 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> >Actually, connecting to port 22 works fine, or did until my last hacking
> >session on the router. Which is why I wanted to make it inaccessible.
>
> if you're forwarding WAN port 2222, I do not understand what your
> router is doing with port 22, unless the router itself is also
> running a sshd

well, not 2222, but another port I won't identify here, and it
is forwarded to 22 on my linux box. The idea was to put ssh on an
unusual port. but I couldn't figure out how to close port 22, which
was open by default on the router, apparently. I still don't see any
way in its UI to do it, and didn't especially want to have to write
a custom firewall rule. So I just forwarded WAN/22 to port 9 on
the LAN side of the router.

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us