[CentOS] OT: closing a port on home router

Always Learning centos at u64.u22.net
Wed Sep 23 04:11:16 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-09-22 at 22:52 -0400, Fred Smith wrote:

> Paul, thanks for the comment. what you suggest is what my original
> post was asking about.
>
> Now, the externally visible port is not 22. my original post was asking
> for advice on tweaking the router to close 22, since I could find no
> method for that in the router's UI. not wanting to have to write iptables
> rules for the router, I found another method that effectively shuts off
> port 22. 22 IS NOT OPEN to the world any more.

Hi Fred,

That is great. When I started on Linux that was one  of the very first
things I did. Every machine, including servers, has port 22 replaced by
a unique alternative port. Port 22 is also blocked in IPtables.

There is an army of dangerous nutters attempting to break-in to
everything. They often mask their attacks using compromised Windoze
computers all around the world.

--
Regards,

Paul.
England, EU.      England's place is in the European Union.