[CentOS] ExecShield in C6 or C7 kernels?

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Sep 29 14:37:08 UTC 2015

I'm trying to figure out if the stock kernels for Centos-6 and/or Centos-7
have ExecShield compiled in, and if so, if it is turned on by default.

On my local C7 box I've been looking at/for indicators without a lot of
success:

/usr/lib/sysctl.d/00-system.conf. does not mention ExecShield at all.
/proc/sys/kernel has no entries for exec_shield
no mention of execshield in any of the files in /etc/grub.d

So, as far as I can see, there are no settings that I would expect to
force ExecShield to an ON setting.

I DO see, in /proc/sys/kernel, a file named randomize_va_space, and it
contains a value of "2".

I've been googling (well, actually DuckDuckGo-ing) and most of the articles
I find regarding ExecShield are 3-10 years old.

I'd appreciate pointers/guides/info on ExecShield in C6 or C7.

thanks in advance!

Fred

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding