[CentOS] strange package manager alerts

Wed Sep 2 23:00:31 UTC 2015
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

Hi!

On my C6 box, in the last few weeks I keep finding a package manager
icon in the top panel, over on the right near the sound/network/etc
icons. when I click on it it offers me "messages". If I choose to go
see them, it opens an empty window. every time. without fail.

its got some regularity, I see it several times a week. haven't
been keeping track enough to know if it's daily, or the same time
daily, or whatever its schedule is.

Suggestions welcome.

thanks!

Fred