[CentOS] sendmail config finding wrong relay

Wed Sep 30 15:32:04 UTC 2015
Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com>

Hi all,

I set my sendmail.mc file to have a SMART_HOST entry of mail.xyz.com
I do "make" and "service sendmail restart" ... I should be good, but no. :)

If I do "host mail.xyz.com" I get the correct address and if I "telnet
mail.xyz.com 25" I get
a connection.

however when I do a test mail - its trying to RELAY to another host.

I thought SMART_HOST was the only one it would try to relay to?
yes there is only one SMART_HOST in my file, and sendmail.cf shows the
correct name.

How do I tell what is happening here?
the maillog only shows it trying to relay to the wrong host, not the one I
entered.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jerry