[CentOS] BackupPC problem - wrong user

Tue Sep 8 13:34:03 UTC 2015
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 09/08/2015 05:18 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I recently moved BackupPC from CentOS-6 to CentOS-7.
> But when I browse to localhost/BackupPC I'm told
>   Error: Wrong user: my userid is 48[apache], instead of 984(backuppc)
>
> As far as I can tell, the BackupPC settings are exactly the same
> as they were before the move.
>
> It seems htttpd is running the program as user apache
> rather than backuppc, as required.
> Is there a simple setting in /etc/httpd/ that will tell httpd
> to run as a different user?

It is not the backuppc settings, it is your apache settings.  The
default setup requires that apache is setup to run as:

 User backuppc
 Group backuppc

There are other ways to do this if you have to have httpd run as the
apache user for other things, but the easiest thing to do (if you can),
is to set the User and Group to backuppc in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
and restart httpd.

I have not run backuppc on CentOS-7 (I ran it on CentOS-6), I have not
run it in 3 years, and my backuppc machine(s) had no other things on
them that needed to run httpd for any other reason .. so others might
have better advise if your machine is not single purpose.