[CentOS] BackupPC is not easy to setup

Tue Sep 15 07:46:27 UTC 2015
kpolberg at olberg.name <kpolberg at olberg.name>

On 09/13/2015 03:48 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> I thought I'd write a 1-page note to myself of the steps I took,
>> in preparation for CentOS-8...
>> I have a couple of questions that this raises.
>>
>> 1. Why exactly does backuppc want to ssh to root?
>> Is this just a way of running BackupPC as root?
>>
>> 2. The graphical interface seems to be treated as an extra,
>> but what other way is there of accessing BackupPC?
>> Is there a CLI approach?
>> If so, where is the list of transfer requests kept?
> Another small query.
> I see that BackupPC starts 6 copies of httpd running,
> but so far only 2 have ever been used.
> Can this number (6) be changed?

1. It's just the default, it can easily be configured to start rsync
through sudo, you need root privileges to backup all files.

2. You can do all operations through CLI, all of it is mentioned in the
documentation.
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#Step-7:-Talking-to-BackupPC

3. As mentioned earlier, this is just the default apache config. And can
be altered through httpd.conf (though I wouldn't mess too much with it,
the defaults are normally fine).

-kp