[CentOS] Centos 7, systemd, and nvidia drivers

Wed Sep 16 23:50:01 UTC 2015

On Sep 16, 2015, at 5:21 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I tried systemctl start multi-user.target. I tried systemctl stop
> graphical.target. I finally had to set the multi-user.target as the
> default, and reboot, to get rid of the nouveau drivers.
>
> Note that I tried to modprobe -r, and rmmod with all the modules using
> nouveau, and couldn't - I kept getting "in use" - it seemed like a
> circular reference.
>
> As I said, I rebooted. Then I ran the proprietary build, ran fine. I try
> starting the graphical target, no joy. I changed the default target back
> to graphical, and rebooted. Still no xorg. Googling (yahooing?), I added
> rdblacklist=nouveau in grub.conf, *then* had to rebuild the grub2 (grub2
> must *die*).
>
> Still wouldn't see the nvidia drivers on reboot. Finally, I rebuild the
> initramfs, which got the now-built and installed nvidia drivers (and I'd
> yum uninstalled nouveau), and finally, it came up.
>
> Oh, and for some reason, without the reboot, the Xorg.0.log wasn't
> renewed, as though it hadn't actually restarted X. Plus, it appears that
> <ctrl-alt-bkspc> is disabled....
>
> Then all I had to do was fight and hand-edit the xorg.conf, which *MUST*
> be in /etc/X11/sorg.conf.d to be even seen.... But what I had to do is
> beyond this - my user's got three monitors, on two cards, and two are for
> 3D, and so nothing to do with my issues with trying to get systemd to load
> and xorg to use the nvidia drivers.

Of course, none of this had anything to do with systemd, other than the commands you had to change runlevels.  It’d be the same problem with Upstart in CentOS6, just different commands.  The kernel modesetting stuff is at fault here.  But who needs facts to get in the way of a good rant?

I suggest looking at http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia

The nvidia RPMs at elrepo sets up the kernel arguments and the xorg.conf.d files.  Pretty simple.