[CentOS] Update from 6.6 to 6.7 > automount logs error message

Wed Sep 23 13:07:28 UTC 2015
Phelps, Matthew <mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu>

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 5:28 AM, Ralf Aumüller <
Ralf.Aumueller at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> Hello,

> Did some more tests:
>
> Compiled autofs with logging of UID/GID in autofs-function
> "set_tsd_user_vars".
> Just before the error is logged, autofs tries to get password info for
> e.g. UID
> 409651584 and GID 4294936577 (witch don't exist). Then error message is
> logged.
>
> A fully updated 6.7 system running latest 6.6 kernel
> (2.6.32-504.30.3.el6.x86_64) won't print the error message. I checked the
> changelog of kernel 2.6.32-573.3.1.el6.x86_64 and found some autofs patches
> since version 504.30.3.
>
> But I can't test an further because the kernel-srpm didn't include single
> patches anymore.
>
> Maybe someone with deeper kernel knowledge has an idea?
>
> Best regards,
> Ralf

It looks like the latest kernel release fixes this issue:

CentOS pushed the kernel update last night (CEBA-2015:1827 CentOS 6 kernel
BugFix Update). I've tested it on a machine that logged the error every
time we ran a certain cron job, and so far the errors are no longer
appearing.

 From the RedHat advisory at
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2015-1827.html :

* When logging in as a user and trying to mount a share using the "cd"
command,
the UID and GID autofs additional variables previously took incorrect
values,
taking root UID and GID instead of user's UID and GID. The bug in the
assignment
of uid and gid mount requests has been fixed, and UID and GID now get the
correct values with autofs configuration on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.7.
(BZ#1258581)

-Matt