[CentOS] VPN suggestions centos 6, 7

david

david at daku.org
Mon Apr 4 17:57:12 UTC 2016

Folks

I would like to have my windows 7 laptop communicate with my home
server via a VPN, in such a way that it appears to be "inside" my
home network.  It should not only let me appear to be at home for any
external query, but also let me access my computers inside my home.

I already have this working using M$'s PPTP using my home Centos 6
gateway/router as the PoPToP server.  However, I am concerned about
the privacy/security of such a connection.

I have seen discussions of OpenVPN, OpenSwan, LibreVPN, StrongSwan
(and probably others I haven't noted).  I'd be interested in hearing
from anyone who wishes to comment about which to use, with the
following requirements:

1)  As noted, it should be secure (anti NSA?)
2)  Works on Centos 6 and Centos 7 and Windows 7 (and for the future,
Windows 10)
3)  Can be set up on the server with command line interfaces only (no GUI)

And, should not be a nightmare to set up.

Any thoughts?

David