[CentOS] VPN suggestions centos 6, 7

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 20:18:48 UTC 2016

On 04/04/2016 10:57 AM, david wrote:
> I have seen discussions of OpenVPN, OpenSwan, LibreVPN, StrongSwan
> (and probably others I haven't noted).  I'd be interested in hearing
> from anyone who wishes to comment about which to use, with the
> following requirements:

I recommend l2tp/ipsec.  It's supported out of the box on a wide variety
of client platforms, which means significantly less work to set up the
clients.

OpenVPN is a popular choice, and it's fine for most people.  It's more
work to set up than l2tp/ipsec, typically.  We used it for quite a while
at my previous employer, though ultimately dropped it because the
Windows GUI requires admin rights to run, and we didn't want to continue
giving admin rights to the users we supported.