[CentOS] Squid for CentOS 7 and available file descriptors

Carlos A. Carnero Delgado

carloscarnero at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 16:03:06 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm installing a Squid instance for a large (ish) group of users. In the
past I've had to increase the number of available file descriptors for the
Squid process in order to avoid hitting the limits (and disrupting the
service).

It seems that the packaged Squid for CentOS 7 has a hardcoded value of
16386 maximum file descriptors
<https://git.centos.org/blob/!rpms!squid.git/c6361861418913e2a375a3507da79ace09e0dfa2/SPECS!squid.spec#L182>.
The relevant portion of that spec file is

  ⋮
  --with-aio \
  --with-default-user="squid" \
  --with-filedescriptors=16384 \
  --with-dl \
  --with-openssl \
  ⋮

Why this limit? Is there any merit to opening a bug or enhancement request
somewhere? Other than that, what could I do next? A custom Squid build?

Thanks a lot,
Carlos.