[CentOS] how do I use only black ink?

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 17 07:49:58 UTC 2016

On 04/17/16 01:51, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> I have an HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-one.
> As I haven't had any need for color lately,
> when I last replaced ink, I only replaced the black cartridge.
> It didn't work, even when printing grayscale-only images,
> even when telling print-set-up grayscale-only.
> Is there a way to tell my printer to use only the black ink cartridge.
> My test image is a handmade postscript file
> that only use setgray to set the color.

===>

i do not know answer, but what i can tell you is that all color printers
have adopted one type or another 'smart cartridge'.

they have done so to prevent users from using refill kits to refill ink
cartridges. this is evident by all the contacts on cartridge near ink
outlet.

many color printer tie into the cartridge to detect when cartridge ink
runs out and 'locks' the cartridge in a state where even if refilled,
it will not work again.

many of the cartridges are even monitored to level of ink left.

because of this and other reasons, refill kit makers have taken their
products to a point of special cartridges that have tubes run from
cartridges to external ink supplies so cartridges will always show
full.

you just may have to pay the price of a new cartridge, oem or kit
maker, and install a new color cartridge.

--
peace out.

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
-+-

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.7

tc,hago.