[CentOS] Google Chrome and CentOS 6?

Phelps, Matthew mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 18 12:34:22 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org> wrote:

> On 18/04/16 13:14, Phelps, Matthew wrote:
> > Please answer the original question (again) CentOS folks.
> >
> > Where are we with getting the RHEL version of Chromium available
> > for CentOS?
> >
> > There should be no technical reason why we can't get a working, up
> > to date, and therefore secure version of chromium running on CentOS
> > 6.7!!
>
> Happy to host it, is this something you are working on at the moment
> Matthew ?
>
> Regards,
>

> - --
> Karanbir Singh, Project Lead, The CentOS Project

Unfortunately, I have neither the time, nor expertise to partake in such a
project.

Since Mr. Hughes had already gotten earlier versions of chromium to build
under CentOS 6 (c.f. http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/chromium/6/), and he
indicated it was merely a matter of getting RHEL to give permission for him
to redistribute it more "formally" to the community, I was hoping progress
had been made with that.

Have you, as the CentOS project lead ever asked RedHat if they can make
their version of Chromium for CentOS 6 available for us? If not, can you
please?

Since this seems to come up periodically, there is a demand for it out
there.

--
Matt Phelps
System Administrator, Computation Facility