[CentOS] Dual boot C7 with Window 10

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Apr 22 10:11:28 UTC 2016

Chris Murphy wrote:

> What you should revert back to UEFI only, with Secure Boot enabled,
> and reinstall CentOS, deleting the previous partition/mount points
> including the BIOS Boot partition that was created for CentOS's
> bootloader.

> The gotcha is that with Secure Boot enabled, the CentOS GRUB-efi
> package doesn't support chainloading the Windows bootloader. This is
> getting fixed in Fedora 24 but I have no idea how long it'll take to
> get to CentOS 7. You could either disable Secure Boot (which I don't
> recommend) or you switch between CentOS and Windows using the
> firmware's boot manager. You'll have to figure out which F key brings
> up the boot manager. On my Intel NUC it's F10, *shrug*.

May I ask a couple of questions which I'm afraid betray my ignorance.

1. Why is it advisable to "revert back to UEFI"?
Is this just a safety measure?
I would have thought that if an intruder had got in this far,
enabling him to install unsigned modules,
he would have you at his mercy anyway?

2. I installed CentOS-7.2.1511 from a Live USB stick,
and I have a Windows 10 partition that I can boot into.
So I assume that UEFI is not used by default?
Will it become so at some point?

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net