[CentOS] [OT] disk utility showing message "the partition is misaligned by"

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Fri Apr 22 15:19:06 UTC 2016

On 04/22/2016 09:43 AM, g wrote:
> ]$ sudo blockdev --getalignoff /dev/sdc1
> 0
> ]$ sudo blockdev --getalignoff /dev/sdc2
> 0
> ]$ sudo blockdev --getalignoff /dev/sdc5
> 2560
> ]$ sudo blockdev --report /dev/sdc1
> RO    RA   SSZ   BSZ   StartSec            Size   Device
> rw   256   512  4096       2048       838860800   /dev/sdc1
> ]$ sudo blockdev --report /dev/sdc2
> RO    RA   SSZ   BSZ   StartSec            Size   Device
> rw   256   512  4096    1640448      1048576000   /dev/sdc2
> ]$ sudo blockdev --report /dev/sdc5
> RO    RA   SSZ   BSZ   StartSec            Size   Device
> rw   256   512  4096   33848955    328282081792   /dev/sdc5
>
> so, blockdev does not show end, but does confirm sdc5 start is off
> by 2560, same as fdisk.
>
> all of which indicates i should repartition drive with fdisk.
>
> is there any easier way such as using gparted or sparted so that
> partitioning will be by cylinder and not sector?

You do not want to partition by cylinder.  The CHS geometry that
fdisk reports has been meaningless on hard disks for at least the
last 10 years and bears no relationship to the actual cylinders on
the drive.  At that arbitrary 255 heads 63 sectors/track geometry,
you might have to skip over 7 full "cylinders" to find one that
starts on a 4096-byte boundary. The version of fdisk in CentOS 6
is old, and still defaults to the deprecated cylinder units.  You
should always switch to sector units when using it. The warning
about partitions that do not start or end on a cylinder boundary
should be ignored.

                 Do NOT delete it.