[CentOS] Storage cluster advise, anybody?

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Fri Apr 22 20:51:06 UTC 2016

On 22/04/16 04:40 PM, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016, Digimer wrote:
>
>> Then you would use pacemaker to manage the floating IP, fence
>> (stonith) a lost node, and promote drbd->mount FS->start nfsd->start
>> floating IP.
>
> My favorite acronym: stonith -- shoot the other node in the head.

It's brutal, but it solves a very important problem. True HA is based on
never making an assumption, because if you do make assumptions, you will
eventually go wrong. I see all the time people who build HA clusters
come along complaining (usually in a panic) that their clusters have
totally failed.

Inevitably, they have not setup stonith and retort with "ya, but it ran
fine for $long_time!!". Sure, and like a long flight, you don't realize
you've lost your landing gears until you try to land.

--
Digimer
access to education?