[CentOS] systemd-journald corruption

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Apr 26 20:45:16 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016, 2:09 PM Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net> wrote:

> I have several recently-installed CentOS 7 servers that keep having
> systemd-journald corruption

Determined with 'journalctl --verify' or another way?

(which stops ALL logging, including syslog).
> Interestingly, they are all spam-scanning servers running amavisd-new
> (so could be some particular pattern is triggering it).
>
> Is there a "supported" way to just cut systemd-journald out of the
> picture and have log entries go straight to rsyslogd?

No. Everything reports to journald and rsyslog gets what it wants from
journald.

If you are referring to native journald logs corrupting, that should not
affect rsyslog. If you remove /var/log/journal then systemd-journald logs
will be stored volatile in /run.

> Has anyone else seen this?

Sortof, but not in a way that affects rsyslog. Usually journalctl just
skips over corrupt parts and systemd-journald will rotate logs when it
detects corruption to isolate corrupt files.

Chris Murphy