[CentOS] Semi-OT: very weird vi behaviour

William A. Mahaffey III

wam at hiwaay.net
Wed Apr 27 09:36:03 UTC 2016

On 04/27/16 09:11, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>>> Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2016 13:43:00 +0000
>>> From: "Vanhorn, Mike" <michael.vanhorn at wright.edu>
>>> On 4/27/16, 9:39 AM, "centos-bounces at centos.org on behalf of
>>> m.roth at 5-cent.us" <centos-bounces at centos.org on behalf of

>>> It sounds as if, for some reason, in that one session, vi doesn’t
>>> know what your terminal settings are, so it’s in line editing
>>> mode (like ed or ex). I don’t have an explanation as to why it
>>> would only happen with that one session, though.
>> Or your "colors" could be set oddly in that terminal window/vi
>> session.
>>
>> Unfortunately you are giving almost no details - OSs (original and
>> target machine), shells, terminal settings, etc., so it's hard to do
>> more than jump to potentially rash conclusions.
> Sorry, original machine that I sudo'd to root is CentOS 6; the machine
> where it was acting weird was CentOS7. Terminal is rxvt, and my colors are
> set everywhere to be the color Ghod (and IBM) meant them to be, green on
> black. <g>
>
> I'd been googling, and tried reset, and tried <ctrl-L>, and none of it
> helped. I renamed /root/.viminfo, and tried vi -V, which showed it only
> going after /etc/virc and /etc/vimrc, and neither modified. I also tried
> vi --noplugin.
>
>        mark

A bit of a flyer, but I have issues w/ vi when I ssh to other machines
on my LAN from an RXVT window. I am all *BSD, which is what makes this a
flyer, but I do have issues w/ the vi/ssh/rxvt combo, to the point where
I use xterm's for windows where I know I will want to 'vi' something on
another box (I *love* rxvt otherwise). $0.02, no more, no less ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.