[CentOS] Bourne shell deprecated?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Apr 27 15:01:52 UTC 2016

Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 07:27:26PM -0700, Alice Wonder wrote:
>>
>> Some of the BSDs use to have a bourne shell and maybe some do, I don't
know.

> Yup.
>
>> bash is mostly compatible with bourne (can run most bourne scripts)
which is why /bin/sh is a symlink to /bin/bash on GNU and most other
*nix systems.

> Bash can run Bourne, but not necessarily vice versa, which can be
problematic if, say, moving a Linux script to a BSD or AIX box.   I
remember something I'd done which used, IIRC, $UID, without realizing it
was a bashism, instead of using id -u.

I'll also note that all *production* scripts were once required to be
bourne, but by the mid-ninties, management was starting to mandate that
they be Korn shell, instead, for many reasons - capabilities, etc. Bash -
I don't think I saw that till I started running RH 5.1, I think it was,
about 18 years ago....

      mark