[CentOS] Bourne shell deprecated?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Apr 27 19:13:40 UTC 2016

>> >The various *BSD's have & use the actual Bourne shell ....
>> >

> Which one? All the BSDs I know of use the Almquist Shell except for
> OpenBSD which uses a patched version of the Public Domain Korn Shell

indeed, the man for sh(1) on freebsd 10.3 says (in part)

HISTORY
      A sh command, the Thompson	shell, appeared	in Version 1 AT&T UNIX.	 It
      was superseded in Version 7 AT&T UNIX by the Bourne shell,	which inher-
      ited the name sh.

      This version of sh	was rewritten in 1989 under the	BSD license after the
      Bourne shell from AT&T System V Release 4 UNIX.

AUTHORS
      This version of sh	was originally written by Kenneth Almquist.