[CentOS] Bourne shell deprecated?

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 27 20:29:29 UTC 2016

On Wed, April 27, 2016 3:16 pm, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> On 04/27/16 13:21, Pouar wrote:

>>> The various *BSD's have & use the actual Bourne shell ....
>>>

>> Which one? All the BSDs I know of use the Almquist Shell except for
>> OpenBSD which uses a patched version of the Public Domain Korn Shell

> NetBSD 6.1.5 uses the Bourne shell by default for root logins & uses it
> for the rc.d system. FreeBSD 9.3 Release has it installed because it is
> needed for the rc.d system. All I can vouch for ....

Yes. Here is excerpt from "man sh" (appears the same on FreeBSD 9.3 and
10.3):

     A sh command, the Thompson shell, appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX.  It
     was superseded in Version 7 AT&T UNIX by the Bourne shell, which inher-
     ited the name sh.

     This version of sh was rewritten in 1989 under the BSD license after the
     Bourne shell from AT&T System V Release 4 UNIX.

> --
>
> 	William A. Mahaffey III

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator