[CentOS] Bourne shell deprecated?

Bill Maltby (C4B) centos4bill at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 09:39:58 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-04-27 at 15:39 -0700, JJB wrote:
> On 04/27/16 15:18, Chris Adams wrote:
> > Once upon a time, JJB <jack at internetguy.net> said:
> >> Interesting.  Back in 1980 we called /bin/sh the Mashey shell.  It
> >> did not have command substitution or other things we now take for
> >> granted.  Bourne did that for us.  So there's a version or two
> >> missing in history...
> > Check the history here:
> >
> > https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo
> >

> This history might be that of a particular lineage.  CB UNIX and PWB
> UNIX existed in the gap between 1975 and 1979.

PWB is the one I started with back in '77ish. Running on Dec 11/70.

When SCO's Unix, which had an IBM-compatible Cobol compiler available,
became available I installed on PC and over time converted our Cobol
development folks to compile, debug, test on the PCs and then install on
mainframe through the PDP 11/70 emulating 3270 terminal into mainframe,
IIRC. Maybe by then it was a VAX 11/780.

When Bourne's shell came around it was a big boost for me - added a lot.

> <snip>

Bill