[CentOS] C5: The Firefox ESR 45.1.0 Nighmare - bunny trail

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 29 15:13:08 UTC 2016

On Fri, April 29, 2016 7:44 am, Alice Wonder wrote:
> On 04/29/2016 04:44 AM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> *snip*
>> So what's gone wrong with the Linux Desktop developers?
>
> I don't know, but that's why I use MATE.

MATE was a solution for me too. I used gnome on my FreeBSD workstation and
laptop till FreeBSD upgraded to ugly new Gnome, then I switched to Mate
and am happy ever since.

I convinced myself to not blame free software developers for making fancy
(in their opinion) things that interact with me way different from what I
am used to and what I like to stay the way it was. This (blooming
fanciness) is often their only reward for hard work they do. And some of
us who prefer not to accept what hits our productivity, flee elsewhere,
thus providing feedback...

Just my $0.02

Valeri

> I get acceptable performance on my T410 thinkpad with 4GB of memory and
> outstanding performance on my home built desktop with 16GB of memory.
>
> The T410 has been upgraded with an Intel SSD.
>
> Gnome3 on the Thinkpad was just painful.
>
> Anyway, MATE is in EPEL.
>
> There are still some quirks - like what they did with gedit, you've got
> the "open" button all the way on the left and the "Save" button way over
> on the right - who the hell thought that was a good idea?
>
> Ah well.

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago