[CentOS] Free Redhat Linux (rhel) version 7.2

Mon Apr 4 14:25:03 UTC 2016
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

On 04/04/16 10:06 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Mon, April 4, 2016 8:53 am, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 04/04/2016 08:39 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>> I read that Redhat was offering their Linux free,
>>> and downloaded the ISO, though I haven't run it.
>>>
>>> What do CentOS users think of Redhat's offer?
>>>
>>> The registration with Redhat seemed very bureaucratic to me,
>>> and I'm not sure if I have carried it out properly.
>>> Also, I didn't see if it was possible to get updates,
>>> either with dnf or some other way.
>>>
>>> I've been (and am) very pleased with CentOS,
>>> which I've been running for several years,
>>> and I don't particularly want to change.
>>>
>>> Any views on this?
>>>

>> You need read the usage license.
>>
>> That subscription can only be used in development and not in a
>> production environment.
>
> When I think about it I have a strange feeling. To be (become) a developer
> of something that you yourself will not be able to use in production...
> it's akin volunteer to become a slave. Is there anybody who _can_ make a
> sense of such offer?
>
> Valeri

Our company has been in Red Hat's ISV program for ages, and it is very
helpful. There are differences between how CentOS and RHEL works, so
being able to test against both makes it much easier for our users
(community users and paid customers) to choose which system they want. I
also means that we can be sure those who choose RHEL proper will have no
problems.

We also use the RHEL installs for demos and trade shows, which is
important. Like it or not, there is a certain "professionalism" to being
able to demo your product on RHEL instead of CentOS. Most customers
insist on RHEL so seeing the product running already on RH is a useful
sales tool.

In short; The ISV program has been very helpful and benefited both RH
and our company.

--
Digimer
access to education?