[CentOS] how do I use only black ink?

Sun Apr 17 17:54:36 UTC 2016
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> I have an HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-one.
> As I haven't had any need for color lately,
> when I last replaced ink, I only replaced the black cartridge.
> It didn't work, even when printing grayscale-only images,
> even when telling print-set-up grayscale-only.

To be precise: Black lines were black,
but pale gray areas were an even paler yellow.
I've just discoverd that the printer does
the right thing with text from a pdf.
The black ink cartridge is getting used,
just not enough.

I used HPLIP, but it has been a while, so no details.
Before remembering HPLIP, I'd tried to install the printer with just CUPS.
It would not print.
Using HPLIP, I got a rather long-named queue that would print.
The other queue, the one with the name I wanted,
will accept jobs, but never finish them.

> Is there a way to tell my printer to use only the black ink cartridge.
> My test image is a handmade postscript file
> that only use setgray to set the color.

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards