[CentOS] Bourne shell deprecated?

Wed Apr 27 02:13:37 UTC 2016
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 04/26/2016 06:45 PM, Jack Bailey wrote:
> Today someone in a meeting claimed the Bourne shell is deprecated, one
> of the reasons being it supposedly has security issues.  Well that's
> all news to me, and I cannot find anything online to corroborate the
> claim.  Is this true, is it a bash vs. Bourne FUD, or something else?

The Bourne shell is not POSIX conforming.  It's not widely available.
It was included in Solaris until 11, when it was replaced with a POSIX
compatible sh.

It was affected by a security issue in 2014:

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-15053/year-2014/Heirloom.html

I think it's hard to argue that it's not deprecated.