[CentOS] Apache/PHP Installation - opinions

Wed Apr 27 08:10:09 UTC 2016
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

On 04/27/2016 07:50 PM, Alice Wonder wrote:
> On 04/27/2016 12:41 AM, Alice Wonder wrote:
>> On 04/27/2016 12:30 AM, James Hogarth wrote:
>> *snip*
>>>
>>> Unless you have a very specific requirement for a very bleeding edge
>>> feature it's fundamentally a terrible idea to move away from the
>>> distribution packages in something as exposed as a webserver ...
>>
>> I use to believe that.
>>
>> However I no longer.
>>
>> First of all, advancements in TLS happen too quickly.
>>
>> The RHEL philosophy of keeping API stability for as long as the release
>> is supported means you end up running old protocols and old cipher
>> suites and don't have the new protocols and cipher suites available.
>>
>> That's a problem.
>>
>> With respect to Apache and PHP -
>>
>> There is a lot of benefit to HTTP/2 but you can't get that with the
>> stock Apache in RHEL / CentOS 7. You just can't.
>>
>> The PHP in stock RHEL / CentOS is so old that web application developers
>> largely are not even using it anymore, resulting in some web
>> applications that just simply don't work unless you update the PHP to
>> something more modern.
>>
>> It's a nice idealistic philosophy to want to keep the same versions and
>> backport security fixes and keep everything API compatible but in real
>> world practice, it makes your server stale.
>
> Another example outside of LAMP
>
> Postfix -
>
> The postfix that ships with CentOS 7 does not have the ability to
> enforce DANE.
>
> If you are not sure what that is -
>
> On mt DNS server, I can (and do) post a fingerprint of the TLS keys
> used by my smtp server.
>
> When other mail servers want to send an e-mail to my server, they can
> do a DNS query and if I have a DANE record, then they can require that
> that the TLS connection they make to my SMTP server uses a certificate
> with a fingerprint that matches.
>
> That is the only reliable way to avoid MITM with SMTP.
>
> It's easy to set up in postfix -
>
> smtp_dns_support_level = dnssec
> smtp_host_lookup = dns

Sounds good, but how many domain MX servers have set up these
fingerprint keys - 1%, maybe 2%, so how do you code for that? I guess
I'm thinking it uses it if available. So even if you do post it on your
DNS, how many clients out there are using DANE on their set up? By the
time it becomes more than a tiny % and generally useful, it will be in
CentOS 8. It also requires certificates to be implemented more
ubiquitously than at present - although we do now have affordable
solutions, so this one may resolve more quickly.