[CentOS] C5: The Firefox ESR 45.1.0 Nighmare

Fri Apr 29 15:15:23 UTC 2016
Always Learning <centos at u64.u22.net>

On Fri, 2016-04-29 at 11:21 +0100, James Hogarth wrote:

> Given: RHEL5 goes end of life on 2017-03-31, which is 47 weeks, 6 days, 13
> hours, 40 minutes, and 50 seconds from now
>
> and that even now the updates are limited to critical (ie remote code
> execution) pretty much might I suggest now is a good time to be thinking
> about that future of that system and if not move to C7 at least move to C6?
>
> I can't even imagine the pain of using C5 as a desktop in today's world ...

I am conservative with somethings but adventurous with others.

C5's Gnome desktop is stable and satisfies all my needs because it is
reliable and always works well; FF45 being the exception.

C6 is set-up on a faster, quieter development machine with double the
RAM and USB3. When my last C5 production server moves to C6, then I'll
have to say a gratefully metaphorical farewell to my dependable C5
development machine "its been really great knowing you".

Stability and reliability are essential for basic computer work. C7 has
yet to convince me it is worth the considerable investment in time and
energy relearning how to operate and use it. That is why Valerie's BSD
philosophy appears attractive (the manual from 1998 remains largely
unread). I'll stay with C6 for as long as possible.

Please don't demean something (i.e. C5 and its desktop) which has been a
wonderful and enjoyable experience.

--
Regards,

Paul.
England, EU.      England's place is in the European Union.