[CentOS] Mirror sync strategy or problem?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 13:47:49 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> External Mirrors sync at whatever period they choose.  It could be daily
> or multiple times per day.
>
> It can certainly take up to 24 hours for the majority of external
> mirrors to be updated.
>
> Our script to verify mirrors can take 3-4 hours to run as well to
> develop a new mirrorlist.
>
> Yesterday at 2200 UTC, we released 24 SRPMs worth of updates.  That is a
> significant amount of information. (around 200 RPMs and 150-200 MB of
> info).  Based on the 24 hour period I usually use, I would expect most
> mirror to be updated by 2200 UTC today (still 11 hours from now).

Thanks for clarification of the workflow Johnny.
I'm just realizing now that in effect when I worked on this new system (too
late in time as usual.. ;-) my mind was ahead one week (holidays needed for
sure...) and I thought 7 days had passed from release of the packages in
question... instead I was referring to packages released the same day !
I beg my pardon to the cited mirrors maintainers... m(_ _)m

Actually the source of the total following confusion was me checking that
after the system update I had a relative "old" kernel in terms of release
date (it seems latest released is kernel-3.10.0-327.22.2.el7.x86_64.rpm
released on 2016-06-23.. I hope my eyes are better today...) and I wanted
to crosscheck comparing mirror contents... and then the misunderstanding

Also because on RHN portal I saw that apparently
a kernel-3.10.0-327.28.2.el7.x86_64.rpm was released with changelog dated
on 27/06....
but checking better I see now that Red Hat actually has just released it
yesterday as from:
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2016-1541.html

thanks again to all