[CentOS] ssh & ksh question [RESOLVED]

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Aug 9 20:42:44 UTC 2016

Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 08/09/2016 10:35 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> it gags on
>> ssh system2 <<EOF
>> blah, blah
>> EOF.
>>
>> Mostly, I have a multiline awk script in the script, with \ at the end
>> of each line
>
> You are probably overlooking that in bash, "here documents" are subject
> to expansion according rules documented in the bash man page, unless you
> quote the word you use as the here document delimeter.
>
> That is, try:
>
> ssh system2 <<"EOF"
> blah, blah
> EOF

Actually, the script itself is ksh. However, finally getting to email with
my manager, he just did it the simpler way, with a separate script to run
it. And the reason I didn't realize that his script was working as
designed is that unless I fed /dev/null into his script, rather than send
a email, it printed the report to the screen....

      mark