[CentOS] script to make webpage snapshot

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 11 22:19:15 UTC 2016

On Thu, August 11, 2016 5:13 pm, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Quoting Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>:

snapshot (as, say daily cron job), and point signage client to that
snapshot definitely will solve it, and simultaneously we will stop
bugging

>>> many/most webpages these days are heavily dynamic content, a static
snapshot would likely break.  plus any site-relative links on that
snapshot would be pointing to your server, not the original, any ajax
code on that webpage would try to interact with your server which
won't be running the right back end stuff, etcetc.

>> I usually am not good at explaining what I need. I really only need an
image of what one would see in web browser if one point to that URL. I
do
>> not care it to be interactive. I also don't want to get the content
("mirror") of stuff that URL points to on variety of "depths" - I don't
want to use wget or curl for this reason. That is what I tried first
and it breaks with at lest one of the web sites - they do seem protect
themselves from "robots" or similar. And we don't need it. We just need
>> show what they page shows today, that's all.
>>
>> Valeri
>
> why not File -> Print -> .pdf?

This involves a person sitting with open web browser and clicking mouse. I
need to do it for a few webpages once a day, as they change daily. I
prefer to once spend time on making cron job, and forget about it forever.
Hence I need it done from command line.

Valeri

>>> --
>>> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz
>>>

>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>> Valeri Galtsev
>> Sr System Administrator
>> Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics
>> Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics
>> University of Chicago
>> Phone: 773-702-4247
>>

> --
> "As long as politics is the shadow cast on society by big business, the
attenuation of the shadow will not change the substance."

> -- John Dewey

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago