[CentOS] GRUB 2 dumps to grub prompt when installed on >4TB disk

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Aug 21 21:25:44 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 4:59 PM, James A. Peltier <jpeltier at sfu.ca> wrote:

> [...]

What is attempting to run grub-install? Or even grub2-install? If the
installer is doing this, it's an installer bug. If the user is doing
it, it's user error.

Also, you will need to check the NVRAM for stale values because
grub2-install also populates NVRAM with what will become the wrong
entry. You'll need to use 'efibootmgr -v' to get a listing to find the
bogus entry, which will be pointing to a path that includes
grubx64.efi, note the boot number and then do 'efibootmgr -b <bootnum>
-B'   Where bootnum is the four digit value for the bogus entry.

What should happen if there are no valid entries is shim.efi will work
with fallback.efi to create a proper NVRAM entry. The proper entry can
be found with the earlier grep efibootmgr command, and you can just
use that, while adding an additional \ for each \, so that it's \\.
NVRAM should point to shim.efi and it's shim.efi that loads the
prebaked grubx64.efi.

--
Chris Murphy