[CentOS] systemd not restarting daemon

Chris Adams

linux at cmadams.net
Thu Aug 25 17:43:06 UTC 2016

On an up-to-date CentOS 7 system, I am running named-sdb (pulling domain
records from MySQL), which is segfaulting randomly (after 3-8 hours or
so it appears) in libmysqlclient (I've opened a bug).

Since this is an internal service, until the segfault can be addressed,
I wanted systemd to restart it for me.  I created a file called
/etc/systemd/system/named-sdb-chroot.service.d/service.conf with:

[Service]
Restart=always

in it.  I did "systemctl daemon-reload" and restarted the service, but
systemd is not restarting it.  It knows it died, because that's in the
log (and it ran the chroot cleanup service):

Aug 25 12:03:39 dnssql systemd: named-sdb-chroot.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV
Aug 25 12:03:39 dnssql systemd: named-sdb-chroot.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Aug 25 12:03:39 dnssql systemd: Unit named-sdb-chroot.service entered failed state.
Aug 25 12:03:39 dnssql systemd: named-sdb-chroot.service failed.
Aug 25 12:03:39 dnssql systemd: Stopping Set-up/destroy chroot environment for named-sdb...
Aug 25 12:03:39 dnssql systemd: Stopped Set-up/destroy chroot environment for named-sdb.

I see the file listed in the output of systemd-delta, so I know it is
being seen.  Any idea why systemd isn't restarting it?

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>