[CentOS] Problem with CentOS 5.11 virtual machine

Wed Aug 24 16:40:56 UTC 2016
Kaplan, Andrew H. <AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG>

Hello --

We completed an installation of CentOS 5.11 32-bit onto a Vmware ESXi 6.0.0 appliance for the purpose of running a legacy application. The hardware in question is a Dell PowerEdge R730xd system. The Vmware tools utility was installed onto the virtual machine, and that initially provided access to the network. Once that was done, patches from the CentOS repository were installed onto the virtual machine, and it was rebooted.

The problem we are experiencing is that after that last reboot the network card is not recognized, and there is no connectivity. The error message we are getting is the following:

vmxnet3 device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

The setup utility within CentOS recognizes the card being present, but the running ifup command, and turning off the NetworkManager daemon did not help. I also went to the /etc/udev/rules.d directory, removed the existing 60-net.rules file, and recreated it with the echo command. A reboot did not populate the file. I then tried creating a 70-persistent-net.rules file, and that did not work either.

Running the command

ls /sys/class/net

listed only the lo interface.

So far, the only solution that I can think of is to recreate the virtual machine, install the Vmware Tools utility, and forget about installing any patches. Before I do that, I wanted to know if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks.

dispose of the e-mail.