[CentOS] CentOS 7 kickstart question

Sat Aug 6 14:25:10 UTC 2016
Always Learning <centos at u68.u22.net>

On Fri, 2016-08-05 at 09:11 -0400, Jonathan Billings wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 05, 2016 at 01:55:07PM +0100, Always Learning wrote:
> > On Thu, 2016-08-04 at 22:21 -0400, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> >
> > > Is it a BIOS boot, or are you using the UEFI firmware for booting?
> > > Either way, you might need a small boot partition (not /boot) at the
> > > beginning of the disk.
> >
> > /boot/efi formatted FAT16, circa 150 MB
>
> Even if you're using BIOS boot, if you've got a GPT-formatted disk,
> you'll need a 'biosboot' partition as well.
>
> part biosboot --fstype=biosboot --size=1
>
> (It's not necessary if you're using MBR, but it isn't clear if that's
> the case here.)

Thanks for that interesting tip. My GPT disks on C6 don't have it and
they boot normally.

It seems biosboot is indispensable when booting GPT partitioned disks on
older hardware that lacks EFI capability.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/kickstart-list/2012-August/msg00005.html

It seems the advantage of having a biosboot partition, at the start of
the disk, is the disk will successfully boot-up on EFI and on older
non-EFI BIOS-only systems.

One learns something new almost every day :-)

Thank you.

--
Regards,

Paul.
England, EU.      England's place is in the European Union.